This Page

has been moved to new address

The Atheist Maxim

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
various rambling thoughts: The Atheist Maxim

Monday, November 06, 2006

The Atheist Maxim

The path to my atheism was littered with self probing questions about nature of god, dissatisfaction with the reasons trotted out in favour of his/her existence and the bare illogicality of accepting something just because everyone else believes in it. The path to declaring myself an atheist was, in many ways, a torturous one but in the end a gratifying one because I was at last free of an irrational notion of existence that my logical side had rejected long ago. Of course, atheism throws up many more questions than it answers, once the cocoon of familiarity of religion and its explanations are broken.


But that is how society has always progressed….first we break the mould, the hardest part, and then we remake it…..


But I do believe that even veteran atheists would be stumped at first sight by the eternal simplicity of this argument by the Greek philosopher Epicurus in favour of unbelieving….it is an argument that even a child would understand in all its profundity, for it effectively destroys the very foundation of a God as we have been taught, consciously or unconsciously.


I stumbled upon it in Khushwant Singh’s column yesterday in telegraph….


So here it is….a set of lines that should become the maxim for every person who likes to have a mind of his own and I firmly believe it’s something that should be taught in our schools as well so that we are not burdened with all the nonsense of organized religion and form an individuality of our own from the earliest age.


“Is God willing to prevent evil but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able but unwilling? Then he is malevolent.

If he is both able and willing, then whence cometh evil?

If he is neither able nor willing, then why call him God?”

3 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Mojoey said...

Breaking a mold and remaking it - that is a good analogy, the process is one of continual learning. I’ve been an atheist a very long time. I’ve been learning all the way.

Nice post. very thoughtful.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

happen to stop here.. and happen to read that article in telegraph too..
HOW ARE MINISTERS MADE? This Above All -by Khushwant Singh


I choice sir mr. Khushwant Singh's own words describe me/my-view:"I am a rationalist, an agnostic, not an atheist. There is a world of difference between agnosticism and atheism! "

fyi - would recommend Trouble With Atheism documentary

/Yuva

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Suchi said...

God seems to be more of a 'what' function to me than a 'who' function. That the creator-maintainer-destroyer kind of God logically cannot exist (if God can exist, that is) is what I have inferred from my mental perambulations. But God as the eternal symbol of our aspirations? I believe that only the most depraved kind of man will not hold anything sacred. For the God can be a crutch, a blanket, a stronghold, a cusion, a friend, a life-coach, a moralist, a pugilist, a shoulder to cry on, a beggar, a being that we beg to, a being that we beg for, a being that we look up to, a source of sanity in an imbecile world, a mind, ourselves, a mirror, all of these...but hardly ever, none of these.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home